Gallery Weekend KL 2018
The inaugural Gallery Weekend art fair returns for its 2018 edition this Nov 29 to Dec 2.
A press release cites the fair as a "dynamic celebration of aesthetic and cultural diversity across Malaysia's capital city."
GWKL 2018 will feature a multitude of exhibitions, special events, gourmet, as well as the Luminary Programme.
The programme will include panel discssions by international culture influencers and experts such as:
- Lindy Joubert, founding director of the UNESCO Observatory on Multidisiplinary Research in the Arts and vice president of the World Craft Council, Asia Pacific Region, South Pacific
- Dr Deepanjana Klein, Christie’s International Head for South Asian Modern and Contemporary Art
- Sarah Ichioka, Desire Lines director, a consultancy for environmental, cultural and social impact organisations and initiatives
- Ar. William Lim, award winning architect, artist, and renowned collector, responsible for the design of Hong Kong’s H Queen’s vertical art gallery building
- Madhavi Peters, cultural journalist and The Tropicalist publication founder
- Jennifer Pratt, Artsy Asia Pacific region strategy director
- Ivan Pun, Burmese entrepreneur and collector. Established Pun + Projects, a company which has worked on developing several restaurants and an arts space
The discussions will take place between Nov 30 to Dec 2 at the National Art Gallery, Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia and the National Heritage Society. They are as follows:
- Multi-View features an esteemed panol of creators, collectors, patrons, gallerists and critiscs, on the development, reality of and aspirations for - Malaysian creative culture. Panelists are: Ivan Pun, Bingley Sim, Soon Heng Lim, and Mahen Bala. (Nov 30, 5pm at the National Art Gallery.)
- Handmade for this Century, a presentation by and conversation with Lindy Joubert and Sarah Ichioka, speaking on the importance of craft in the 21st century. (Dec 1, 11am at the Malaysian Heritage Trust (Badan Warisan).
- Emerging Practices and Platforms, a dynamic panel presentation and discussion between luminaries first and then audience, covering topics such as: new media art practices, private museums, auctions, market manipulation and transparency. Panelists are; Dr. Deepanjana Klein, Madhavi Peters, Lindy Joubert, Ivan Pun and Jennifer Pratt. (Dec 1, 3pm at the Islamic Art Museum.)
- Collecting, Creating and Curating- Coming Together, features award winning architect and artist William Lim who will share his diverse experiences which continue to inform his creative impulses with a view to informing our own. (Dec 2, 3pm at the National Art Gallery.)
Higlights from galleries and studios include Biji Biji’s series of workshops, Dipto Bento lead by Madhavi Peters, a solo exhibition by Tawatchai Puntusawasdi at A+ Gallery, a solo exhibiiton by Shafiq Nordin at G13 Gallery, Planes of Paradise by Jamie Tan at Taksu and Trincomalee by Liz Fernando at Shalini Ganendra Advisory.
Centres such as Badan Warisan (Malaysian Heritage Trust), Rimbun Dahan, Islamic Arts Museum, National Museum and the National Textile Museum will be providing tours over the course of GWKL.
For programme developments please visit: www.gw-kl.com